IEEE recognizes the vital role standards will play in the development and adoption of blockchain technologies. IEEE Standards Association (IEEE-SA), a globally recognized standards-setting body within IEEE, has been actively pursuing blockchain standardization efforts through various activities in multiple industry sectors, including the launch of the world's first Advancing HealthTech for Humanity™ virtual blockchain workshop.
The IEEE Blockchain Initiative will collaborate with IEEE-SA to further develop and progress blockchain related standards.
Recent standards activities related to Blockchain include:
- IEEE Initiative to Build Consensus on Optimizing Clinical Trials and Enhancing Patient Safety with Blockchain
- IEEE Releases Findings from First Detailed Study of Blockchain Adoption in the Pharmaceutical Enterprise
- IEEE Driving Collaboration on Advancing Blockchain Adoption Within the Pharmaceutical Industry
- IEEE Launches World’s First Virtual Blockchain Workshop Dedicated to Advancing HealthTech for Humanity™
Blog & Podcasts:
- IC17-002-01: Digital Inclusion through Trust and Agency (DITA)
- IC17-012-01: Supply Chain & Trials Standardized Technology and Implementation (PDF, 620 KB)
- IC17-017-01: Blockchain Asset Exchange (PDF, 187 KB)
Active Standards Projects:
- P2418 - Standard for the Framework of Blockchain Use in Internet of Things (IoT)
- P825 - Guide for Interoperability of Transactive Energy Systems with Electric Power Infrastructure (Building the Enabling Network for Distributed Energy Resources)
Active Working Groups:
IEEE Standards Association (IEEE-SA) commissioned a one-of-a-kind independent research study to examine the State of Blockchain Adoption on the Pharmaceutical Supply Chain. The report offers detailed insights on unresolved financial, regulator, and policy, and protocol issues, expectations and commitment of partners when participating on a blockchain-based pharmaceutical supply chain.
Pharma Supply Blockchain
The Pharma Supply Blockchain Forum is the first in a series of transformative events presenting a non-biased, educational program with the goal of developing a roadmap for advancing adoption of blockchain technology in the pharmaceutical enterprise. Throughout this Forum participants get a comprehensive understanding of the benefits and challenges of employing a blockchain solution on the pharmaceutical supply chain.
Meeting the FDA’s DSCSA Serialization Guidelines with Blockchain
Live Webcast: 6 December 2017 @ 2:00 PM ET
“Cutting to the Trace with Blockchain” Workshop
8 November 2017 | Washington DC
held during the 8th annual HDA Traceability Seminar
Pharma Supply Blockchain Forum
6 June 2017 | Johns Hopkins University, Rockville, MD
Blockchain for Clinical Trials
From a global perspective, the application of blockchain technologies in the context of clinical research is broad and promising. Tracking the complex data flow with numerous diverse stakeholders, and documenting it in real-time through a timestamping workflow, is a key step towards proving data consistency and inviolability, and will hence improve clinical trial methodology. The Blockchain for Clinical Trials Insights Program is a multi-phase eye-opening learning program that will introduce and evaluate blockchain applications for clinical trials while examining the impact of convergence of emerging technologies such as IoT and AI and blockchain for optimizing the process.
Blockchain For Clinical Trials Industry Perspective Report
Anticipated release date – April 2018
Blockchain For Clinical Trials Forum – Europe
November 2018 – United Kingdom
Wearables & Medical Interoperability Workshop (WAMI)
25 April 2018 – Washington DC Area
Blockchain for Clinical Trials Optimization Forum
12 February 2018 | Orlando, FL
IEEE-SA Blockchain Events
See below for additional Blockchain-related events.
There are currently no events in this section.
IEEE Blockchain Summit at the IEEE International Conference on Cloud Engineering
4 April 2017 | Vancouver
Governance and Engagement in Global Blockchain Development (Report) (PDF, 513 KB)
20 March 2017 | Allahabad, India
Advancing HealthTech for Humanity™ Virtual Blockchain Workshop
22 September – 21 October 2016