BLOCKCHAIN FOR CLINICAL TRIALS FORUM
Setting a New Standard for Optimizing Clinical Trials Operations
The initial launch of the Blockchain for Clinical Trials initiative was a great success. The Forum, which occurred on 12 February 2017 in Orlando, FL welcomed 96 attendees with a diverse demographic profile yet all representing the critical stakeholders in evaluating the viability of these applications.
Snapshot of Outcomes from this Forum
- Doubled the capacity from 50 to 100 attendees and still sold out!
- Our audience was global in more ways than one – see below
- The Blockchain for Clinical Trials Forum Vision Report is currently in production and due to be release late March-April 2018. This findings report is directly from the Attendee-Driven break-out sessions at the event
- More than 45 attendees requested to sign-up and/or lead one of the IEEE-SA workstreams (for technical frameworks for standards or policy guidelines) in the application of blockchain for clinical trials
- The attendees unanimously agreed that there is a potential of blockchain in improving clinical trials operations and clinical trials but MORE education, research and collaboration is needed amongst stakeholders to drive effective and accepted adoption
Our Global Audience in More Ways than One
- Pharma/Biopharma professionals (digital innovation, data architecture, and clinical trials operations leads)
- Blockchain technologists
- Strategy and Business Consultants
- Patient Advocacy Groups
- 70% -USA
- 25% – Europe
- 2% – India
- 1% – Australia
- 1% – South America
- 1% – Canada
Check Out these Important Links
This Is Not Just A Forum; This Is An Industry Initiative
The Goal: Develop technical standards and guidelines for the use of viable blockchain applications that will create a more inclusive patient recruitment program, restore data integrity, and innovate drug development.
How Do I Get Involved? 3 Easy Steps
- The U.S. Forum: COMPLETE. The next in the series, Blockchain for Clinical Trials Europe will take place in November 2018 in the UK.
- The Industry Report: UP NEXT. The Blockchain for Clinical Trials Vision Report is currently in progress. This is scheduled to be released last March – April 2018.
- Neutral Working Groups To Develop Frameworks: IN PROGRESS. Participants are signing up to participate in the various workstreams on patient data validation, smart contracts for e-consent, clinical IoTs and blockchain and so much more. If you are interested and have not yet signed, visit the “Blockchain for Clinical Trials Initiative” page.
About the Forum and the Initiative
We are bringing together progressive thinkers and clinical trials/research experts with a passion to mobilize the industry to achieve operational and research excellence by utilizing cutting-edge technologies such as blockchain.
The IEEE-Standard Association’s Blockchain for Clinical Trials forum is the launch of an industry collaborative bringing together critical stakeholders – pharma, health (ie. sponsor of clinical trials), regulatory, patient advocacy groups, and academia – to collaborate on the use cases for blockchain and the challenges that need to be resolved to achieve consensus for industry-wide adoption.
The Forum is not a venue where the experts talk to you. It is a Forum where experts share their experience with the technology and the participants share their perceived challenges and how they can get involved in driving adoption of the technology. This Forum will talk about:
Viable use cases for blockchain application in clinical trials and the barriers and challenges yet to be resolved
- How blockchain can connect the data generated from medical back to clinical research
- Using blockchain to ensure data integrity and retain patient privacy
- Recognizing how technical standards will accelerate the adoption
- The patient perspective: incentives, concerns, compliance
- The benefits and challenges of public vs private blockchain applications
- Understanding the legal, technical side of smart contracts for e-consent
We want every participant to have a voice and contribute to this industry movement. The Forum is designed to capture the ideas, the concerns, and the outcomes of the discussion to present a consensus-driven report on the viability for blockchain applications for clinical trials. This is hands-on, thinking and discussion-based forum.
DO YOU WANT TO PRESENT AT THIS FORM? If you are interested in attending or presenting a session at this Forum, please subscribe to our interest activity list
Who is this program for?
Pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical, biotech, Clinical Research Organization (CRO), hospital or health facility engaged in sponsoring or managing a clinical trial.
Areas of Interest:
- Clinical Data Sciences
- Clinical Execution
- Clinical Monitoring
- Clinical Operations
- Clinical Processes
- Clinical Project Lead
- Clinical Quality Assurance
- Clinical Research
- Clinical Safety
- Clinical Site Management
- Clinical Technology Management
- Clinical Trial Management
- Compliance Auditing
- Consumer Health IT
- Data Governance
- Data Management
- Drug Safety
- IS Management
- Medical Research Operations
- Partnership Development
- Patient Monitoring
- Patient Outreach
- Patient Recruitment
- Principal Investigator
- Process Design
- Process Management
- Quality Assurance (QA) Director
- Regulatory Affairs
- Study Monitoring
- Consultants (non-clinical)
- Patient Advocacy Groups
- Government (Regulatory)
- Technology development